Date: June 15 2013
Weekends in The Boo makes me realise how much I love to be at work. There is hardly anything interesting to do nor malls to go. The TV series and movies on Astro TV Channels are uninteresting and can be made into historical docos, yet they have them on repeat. I can’t do any outdoor activities due to the heat and haze. With the rice-planting season coming next month, the farmers are preparing their land by burning the soil. Burning has the effect of disinfecting the land while also acting as a natural fertiliser.
Today, I went on a road-trip to Bintangor which is about 45mins away. All the bumping, rattling and shaking tired me out so I took a nap before my planned run in the evening. Anyway, I got woken up by an email from the office at 4pm (on a Saturday arvo!! Some serious OT here…), so I had to draft a reply to the retarded email from a director of the company. He is also a ‘Datuk Pemanca’, that is ‘Justice of Peace’ or some sort of leader in the Chinese Community in The Boo. Let’s check out how retarded he is… Here are some of the highlights…
- Reading from prepared scripts (in English) in his thick Foochow accent, peppered with pompous, big, unpronouceable English words – kinda funny trying to catch what he is saying and ask him to repeat;
- Reading from well-rehearsed and co-ordinated dialogues together with his accomplices – totally like clowns putting on a monkey show, I totally dig that!
- Retarded protocols such as telling a director and a shareholder of the company to meet the CFO of the company (who the hell is the CFO? What is his name?) in the CFO’s office – Honestly dude, you got the hierarchy wrong. Shareholder pays CFO’s salary, so CFO meets with Shareholder at the time of her convenience and on her terms!
- Telling the Board of Directors that the Chairman and MD only do PR works, go to government and BOD meetings and NOT management meetings because he only reads Management Reports? – Hell, aren’t you suppose to ‘manage’ the company. Are you telling me, the MD only manages Directors?
- Shareholders and Directors are not allowed priviledged info – Hang on, Shareholders and Directors are to be kept in the dark without any knowledge of what their company is doing???
Hell! Now you know what I mean, why I LOVE being at work in the office, lots of correspondences to write, tap, tap, tap, tapping on my keyboard and watching bad sketches. An encounter with tyrants/ retards/ idiots/ wankers…is FUN and really livens up the otherwise Boo-hoo-hoo Boo Town!
Yes, I have digressed. My trip to Bintangor… Can you imagine a bridge toll of RM5 per trip? The trip is less than 1km long! Penang Bridge costs less! Who was the MP with the bad Elvis Presley permed hair-do living in the ivory tower who approved that? Let’s get the fact straight – RM10 per round trip is big money in The Boo. Going by the kompia index, a bag of kompia, or Foochow bagels costs RM1 for 4 pieces and they are really filling…go figure!
So, the highlight of Bintangor is Bintangor Rojak from the famous No.7 Stall Wong Hung Ping at the Muslim food court. This stall has been mentioned in newspapers as the selling the ‘Best rojak in Sarawak’! A newspaper report is here
Rojak: A plate of pineapples, cucumber, pumpkins, Chinese gourd, deep-fried tofu and Chinese fried dough in sweet pungent caramelised fish sauce. I especiallu liked the roasted peanut bits on top which gave the dish a wonderful aroma. It is also very sweet.
Fresh Coconut Water: At RM3, very expensive. This is old coconut, so the water is sweeter, with thicker,harder and creamier flesh
Bintangor Oranges: Sweet juicy oranges in green skins. The size of grapefruits
Read more on Bintangor here: